DMAIC is a structured Six Sigma approach to process improvement. The DMAIC approach can be applied in any situation where a process has defined measurable results whether it's manufacturing a specific products such as phones, table, chair etc. or services such as healthcare, designing, or hospitality etc.
Quality Management Course
FREE! Subscribe to get 52 weekly lessons. Every week you get an email that explains a quality concept, provides you with the study resources, test quizzes, tips and special discounts on our other e-learning courses.
DMAIC process consists of 5 stages to improve any existing process: Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve and Control.
- Define the problem & what the customers require.
- Measure process & operation parameter related to the problem.
- Analyze data & determine the cause of the problem.
- Improve the process to remove the causes of the defects.
- Control the improved process to ensure that the problem does not recur.
- Define: What is important?
- Measure: How is the company doing?
- Analyze: What is wrong?
- Improve: Fix whats wrong?
- Control: Ensure gains are maintained?